Next 6 week IELTS course starting on 14th September 2021
We are delighted to be able to offer the following classroom-based 4, 6 or 8 week IELTS courses in central Birmingham. We are still in the middle of a Covid 19 pandemic so to keep our students and teachers safe, some social distancing measures will still apply. We will, however, ensure you still have a positive learning experience.
Why take a face to face IELTS course?
These courses are ideal for IELTS candidates who need a Band 6.5 or above to:
- Apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate (masters or PhD) course at a UK university
- Register with the General Medical Council (GMC) for practice as a doctor in the UK and take the PLAB exam (Band 7.5 needed overall)
- Register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) for practice as a nurse or midwife in the UK
- Register with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) for practice as a pharmacist in the UK
- Emigrate to Australia, New Zealand or Canada to get additional points towards your visa application.
The courses will help you achieve your best IELTS band score in the shortest possible time.
All IELTS preparation courses take place at Edgbaston Community Centre – a modern training facility very close to Birmingham City Centre:
Edgbaston Community Centre
40 Woodview Drive
The centre is within walking distance of Five Ways train station and is well served by a number of bus routes. It is approximately 30 minutes from Birmingham Bullring on foot.
Social distancing measures
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, a number of social distancing measures will be implemented during this course to keep yourself and the Home English teachers safe. This will include, but won’t be restricted to:
- Students placed 2 metres apart in the classroom
- All students facing the front of the classroom
- Group and pairwork interaction will be more limited and will be assisted by technology, such as mobile phones (or tablets/laptops if you can bring them)
- Physical handouts will not be provided. All materials will be accessible on an online platform and students will need to print off their own or ensure they are accessible during lessons on a device such as a tablet or mobile phone
- Teachers will ensure they are at least 2 metres apart from students at all times
- Masks will need to be worn at certain times
- Hand santiser for regular santising will be provided
- The classroom will be well-ventilated as often as possible
- Students must socially distance from others during breaks and at lunchtime – lunch can be eaten in the classroom
We realise many of these measures will seem strange – particularly to students who have attended a Home English course before and have enjoyed the interaction with other students that they provide. We hope that with the fast roll-out of the new coronavirus vaccine, these measures will not be in place for too much longer!
2021 Course dates and times
This next course will start on Tuesday 14th September 2021 and will run for 6 consecutive weeks.
September – October 2021 6 WEEK IELTS COURSE
Start date – Tuesday 14th September 2021. End date – Tuesday 19th October 2021.
Class times – Tuesdays from 9.30am to 4:00pm (lunch break from 12.30-1.00pm)
Cost – £269 for the 6 weeks (to include the pre-course assessment + 32 hours in the classroom)
An online speaking assessment and interview will take place on Zoom before the course starts. Details of how you book your appointment for this will be provided when you book the course. A full writing, reading and listening assessment will also be provided for completion at home.
A free pre-course assessment will take place before you start the programme to help us plan the course exactly to your requirements. Your pre-course assessment will comprise of two parts – all details will be provided on the confirmation email that you receive when you book for the course:
- Part 1 – Complete an IELTS writing, reading and listening practice paper at home.
- Part 2 – Take part in an informal online meeting with Laura (see your course confirmation for details of how to book this). This will comprise of a chat about the course and your requirements and a short speaking test using Zoom . The results of this assessment will help us plan the course exactly to your requirements.
How much will the course cost?
This 6 week course will cost £269 per person.
This price includes all materials and marked homework. The fee is payable before the initial assessment date via Home English’s online booking system.
This fee does not include the examination cost. Visit a local IELTS test centre website for information on exam fees which cost approximately £200:
What will the course cover?
Depending on the requirements of the group and the length of the programe, the courses will cover:
A focus on the IELTS writing papers – Task 1 and Task 2
We will look at how to:
- plan and structure perfect essays and reports
- analyse and select the important information for Writing Part 1
- organise and develop your ideas for Writing Part 2.
- use the grammar and vocabulary needed for the higher band scores
Succeeding in reading
How can you avoid running out of time in this challenging part of the exam? We will look at the invaluable techniques of scanning, skimming, reading in detail, summarising and paraphrasing to help you avoid this common problem. We will also provide you with a range of other useful tips to help you succeed.
Help with speaking and listening
Invaluable techniques and useful language to help you through both of these papers plus one-to-one feedback on how you can maximise your speaking score.
Useful vocabulary and grammar
During each session, we will cover useful vocabulary and grammar structures relevant to the part of the exam we are working on.
What level should I be?
To benefit from this course, your English should be at at least Upper Intermediate or Band 6 already. This is the equivalent of B2 on the CEFR scale.