Preparation for the Secure English Language Test (SELT) / Trinity GESE (Graded Examinations in Spoken English) Grade 5 (B1).
Home English is now offering eight week, intensive preparation courses in central Birmingham to help prepare you for the Secure English Language Test (SELT).
From November 2015 it became a requirement to take this test in order to apply for the following:
- a Spouse or Partner visa
- Indefinite Leave Remain
- British Citizenship
SELT courses are run throughout the year and class sizes are small with a maximum of 8 students. The courses will help you prepare for the SELT exam and achieve the certificate required by the Home Office. All sessions are run by Silva Petros – an experienced and qualified ESOL teacher and Trinity examiner.
Course dates and times
The course will run every Saturday for 8 weeks:
- Start Date for next course: Saturday 16 April 2016
- Finish date for the next course: Saturday 4 June 2016
- Session time: 09:30 – 12:30
- Location: The Home English teaching centre in Digbeth – approximately a 10 minute walk from the city centre. The full address will be provided upon request.
- Course cost: £149 to include all materials (see below for more information)
What does the SELT exam look like?
The Trinity GESE Grade 5 (B1) or SELT exam for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement/Permanent Residency) or British Citizenship (Naturalisation) is a 10 minute speaking and listening test. You will NOT be tested on your reading and writing skills.
The exam takes the form of an unscripted conversation with an examiner and lasts for 10 minutes. There are two parts to the exam:
- The Topic discussion: the candidate selects a topic of their choice to prepare in advance and discuss with the examiner. It can be on any subject that interests them but must allow them to demonstrate the language functions and communicative skills required for the grade.
- The Conversation: the candidate engages in a one-to-one conversation based on two subject areas appropriate to the grade.
You will get your provisional results on the day of test and your certificate will be available within 7 days of the test date.
View an example of the SELT / GESE Grade 5 exam:
What will the course cover?
The course will prepare you fully for the SELT speaking and listening exam at Level 5:
- Recent personal experiences
- Means of transport
- Special occasions, e.g. birthday celebrations
- Entertainment, e.g. cinema, television, clubs
We will cover the following vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation areas:
- Talking about the future, expressing preferences, talking about events in the past
- Present perfect tense, adjectives and adverbials of quantity, expressions of preference
- Expressions relating to past and future time, e.g. two days ago, in the future
- The correct pronunciation of vocabulary specific to the topic and subject areas
Before the course starts, you will be asked to attend our centre to complete a pre-course assessment in Speaking and Listening in order to determine your level. The results of this assessment will help decide if you are at the right level to join the course and whether or you need further training to be brought up to the right level.
How much will the course cost?
This 24 hour course will cost £149 per person. This includes all materials and assessments. The fee is payable before the initial assessment date via Home English’s online booking system (linked to Paypal). You can either:
- Pay the full price of £149 in one payment
- Pay a non-refundable deposit of £50 to secure you place and then pay the balance of £99 before the course starts.
This fee does not include the examination cost. This costs approximately £150 and can be booked only via the Trinity College London website.
- Find out how to book you SELT exam online
- The SELT examination centre in Birmingham is located at 52 Blucher Street, B1 1 QU. Find the location on Google Maps.