four or seven week, intensive IELTS preparation courses in central Birmingham.
** Laura is on maternity leave from March 2020 so the next IELTS course will start in January 2021. More information to follow and we apologise for any inconvenience. **
- Apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate (masters or PhD) course at a UK university
- Register with the General Medical Council (GMC) for practice as a doctor in the UK and take the PLAB exam (Band 7.5 needed overall)
- Register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) for practice as a nurse or midwife in the UK
- Register with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) for practice as a pharmacist in the UK
- Emigrate to Australia, New Zealand or Canada to get additional points towards your visa application.
The courses will help you achieve your best IELTS band score in the shortest possible time. All sessions are run by myself – Laura Plotnek-Jones – an experienced and qualified IELTS teacher.
All IELTS preparation courses will now take place at Edgbaston Community Centre – a brand new training facility very close to Birmingham City Centre:
Edgbaston Community Centre
40 Woodview Drive
The centre is within walking distance of Five Ways train station and is well served by a number of bus routes. It is approximately 25 minutes from Birmingham Bullring on foot.
2020 Course dates and times
All course sessions are run on Tuesdays from 09:30 am to 16:00 pm with a 30 minute break for lunch.
A speaking assessment and interview will take place a week or two weeks before each course starts and a ull writing, reading and listening assessment will be provided for completion at home.
JANUARY – FEBRUARY 2020 4 WEEK IELTS COURSE
This course is ideal for candidates who are already at a band 6 or above but need to improve their exam technique and language to achieve their required result in the IELTS test.
Start date – Tuesday 14th January 2020. End date – Tuesday 4th Februry 2020
Class times – Tuesdays from 9.30 to 16:00 for 4 consecutive weeks
Cost – £169 for the 4 Weeks (to include the pre-course assessment and all materials)
Before the course starts, you will be asked to complete a pre-course assessment. This will comprise of an IELTS writing, reading and listening practice paper which you will complete at home. Following this, you will be invited to attend our centre to meet Laura, have an informal chat about the course and your requirements and complete a speaking test. The results of this assessment will help us plan the course exactly to your requirements.
How much will the course cost?
- 4 Week IELTS course – £169 per person
- 7 Week IELTS course – £249 per person
The prices above include all materials and marked homework. The fee is payable before the initial assessment date via Home English’s online booking system.
This fee does not include the examination cost. Visit a local IELTS test centre website for information on exam fees which cost approximately £150:
- International House Birmingham IELTS Test Centre
What will the course cover?
Depending on the requirements of the group and the length of the programe, the courses will cover:
A focus on the IELTS writing papers – Task 1 and Task 2
We will look at how to:
- plan and structure perfect essays and reports
- analyse and select the important information for Writing Part 1
- organise and develop your ideas for Writing Part 2.
- use the grammar and vocabulary needed for the higher band scores
Succeeding in reading
How can you avoid running out of time in this challenging part of the exam? We will look at the invaluable techniques of scanning, skimming, reading in detail, summarising and paraphrasing to help you avoid this common problem. We will also provide you with a range of other useful tips to help you succeed.
Help with speaking and listening
Useful vocabulary and grammar
During each session, we will cover useful vocabulary and grammar structures relevant to the part of the exam we are working on.
What level should I be?
To benefit from this course, your English should be at at least Upper Intermediate or Band 6.5 already. This is the equivalent of C1 on the CEFR scale.